add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

coevolved_netbeast at softhome.net coevolved_netbeast at softhome.net
Mon Jun 9 17:24:24 PDT 2003

On 9 Jun 2003 at 7:31, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> >>To my mind people who have to be told, that the source directory contains
> >>documentation, are hardly the intended audience of LFS.
> >

> > I completely agree with this statement. But the three doubly quoted lines
> > above will reduce the volume of mail from newbies, and that's not too much
> > work.
> >
> > Another suggestion is to put the links to the most relevant FAQs to the top of
> > some packages (like why-not-version for flex and inputrc for bash).
>
> That's not a valid suggestion, because the FAQ is meant to be a
> fall-back mechanism for the most frequently encountered problems when
> someone does _not_ follow the book. In other words, the book is
> internally consistent with itself assuming no deviations are made, and
> thus references to documentation _outside_ the book's range do not
> belong in the book. While it's a completely innocent request,
> referencing the FAQ like that in the book would actually suggest the
> book is wrong or not complete without the FAQ.
>
> --
> Groeten/Greetings
> Jeroen Coumans

Good point.  I still think a collection of more
resources is needed, but your right that it
doesn't belong in the book.
The information to install a small host system
and learn the necessary commands to navigate
a linux console are already on the internet.
Links to or simplified how-to's describing
navigation and using packages like gcc(I think
understanding gcc is one of the most important
things to know), knowledge that is assumed in
LFS, could help open up LFS to a larger
audience.
I found I spent most of my LFS time searching
for information from the net and man/info pages,
a central resource or guide to compliment LFS
could have cut that time down a lot.  Anyone
who decides they want to make an LFS system
is deciding they want to learn more about linux
from the inside out, and any information relevant
to the task would be well received by a lot of
people.

If LFS is like building a house, only you get to
decide where all the fixtures go, then it makes
sense to provide people with a few tools to help
with construction.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org