Misleading text in chapter 5?

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 10 12:19:33 PDT 2003

Vidar Hoel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know the text in the cvs-book is not updated, nor 100% correct, but
> there is one (important) issue:
> In chapter 5, binutils pass2, is says: "Do not remove the binutils-*
> directories after the installation. We'll need this directory again in
> chapter 6 as-is."
>
> Is this still valid?
>
> Becaus in chapter 6, binutils, it says:
> "It is recommended by the Binutils installation documentation to build
> Binutils outside of the source directory:
>
> mkdir ../binutils-build
> cd ../binutils-build
> "
>
> If chapter 5 is right, then binutils-build is already there?
>
> Regards,
> Vidar Hoel - vhoel99 at grm.hia.no

 In addition to what Jeremy said, you can see within the book itself where
there is no conflict.  When you swing the spec file out, you have done what
you needed to keep binutils around for.  At chap6 "Adjusting Toolchain" we
could probably add the same bit as in glibc chap 5 "You may now remove the
binutils-* directories.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch