add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 10 12:45:43 PDT 2003

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> On Sunday 08 June 2003 13:53, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
>> > This isn't a bad idea. Maybe a mention should be made that nearly all
>> > packages have a README and/or INSTALL text file that gives more
>> > information about (building) the package. (It that already in the
>> > book?)
>>
>> To my mind people who have to be told, that the source directory contains
>> documentation, are hardly the intended audience of LFS.
>
> I completely agree with this statement. But the three doubly quoted lines
> above will reduce the volume of mail from newbies, and that's not too much
> work.
>
> Another suggestion is to put the links to the most relevant FAQs to the
> top of some packages (like why-not-version for flex and inputrc for bash).
 In my estimation, --enable-languages   option is not required.  It may
increase compile times, but again for people who download the whole gcc or
the gcc-core will still and always get c and c++ and that's obviously most
important.  Adding the --enable-language option will increase newbie e-mail
in my estimation. Leaving it out pretty much means an increase in disk
usage and having all compilers available.  Unless one is short on disk
space, I don't see any problems with that.

Regarding the newbie situation.  I 100% totally agree with erika about
people being capable of reviewing documentation supplied along with the
sources, but also we SERIOUSLY need to consider that LFS has in fact become
a popular system. We now have a user base that includes a significant
portion that needs hand-holding.  We have users that are completely new to
linux and need to be told how to install redhat properly so they can work
on installing LFS.  This is all part and parcel with whom we have become.

Understand that the success and ALSO the direction of business is not just
directed by the people who manage it, but also by the people whom we serve.
And yes people we need to start understanding that these people ARE our
customers.  We provided a valuable service and system, and people have
recognized the good work.  The follow up service will decide whether we are
a successful business or just some other project that eventually gets
forgotten. We might not be an incorporated business, but if we ever want to
be or integrate LFS as a key part of our individual businesses we need to
recognize that we really are a business orginization with all the
responsibilities of having a dedicated and loyal customer base.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch
scot at linuxfromscratch.org