add --enable-languages flag to gcc instructions

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Tue Jun 10 13:39:48 PDT 2003

Scot Mc Pherson wrote:

>In my estimation, --enable-languages   option is not required.  It may
>increase compile times, but again for people who download the whole gcc or
>the gcc-core will still and always get c and c++ and that's obviously most
>important.  Adding the --enable-language option will increase newbie e-mail
>in my estimation. Leaving it out pretty much means an increase in disk
>usage and having all compilers available.  Unless one is short on disk
>space, I don't see any problems with that.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. There are two groups
of people, Type A who will download just gcc-core and Type B who will
download the entire gcc suite. Adding "--enable-languages=c" will not
affect Type A users but will help Type B users (if they forget the
--enable... switch, it will result in compile time errors).

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar