Ch6, glibc "make test" error. Increase timeout?

Vidar Hoel vhoel99 at grm.hia.no
Tue Jun 10 15:17:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

I am installing LFS from the CVS book for the second time now, the
first time it worked great and I have written a "diary" to my GLUG.
English version is due a bit later.

Anyway, I am doing this same install on a differente machine. The only
difference is the arch, now it is a Dual Pentium II (350 Mhz), the first install
was a Pentium III (650 MHz). Both machines used a Debian Woody as base.

But when I came to glibc in chapter 6, I did a "make test" However, on
this new box I get an error:

<-cut->
GCONV_PATH=/root/glibc-build/iconvdata LC_ALL=C
/root/glibc-build/elf/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path
/root/glibc-build:/root/glibc-build/math:/root/glibc-build/elf:/root/glibc-build/dlfcn:/root/glibc-build/nss:/root/glibc-bu
ild/nis:/root/glibc-build/rt:/root/glibc-build/resolv:/root/glibc-build/crypt:/root/glibc-build/linuxthreads
/root/glibc-build/io/test-lfs  > /root/glibc-build/io/test-lfs.out
Timed out: the child process got signal Real-time signal 5
make[2]: *** [/root/glibc-build/io/test-lfs.out] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/glibc-2.3.2/io'
make[1]: *** [io/tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/glibc-2.3.2'
make: *** [check] Error 2
<-cut->

Yes, I have read the mailinglist, and here are the threads:
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/05/0108.html
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2003/04/0308.html

So, I am not the only one with this problem. The first time I ran it
build and ran glibc-test in parallell, and got signal 21. This time
ran it uni, and got the signal 5.
I guess it is my harddrive or CPU that is too slow, so I need to
increase a timeout? But where?
BTW, in chapter 5, it worked.

So, the reason I write this post is so you can again figure out if you
should mention this in your book. And what does the numbers mean?
Where do I find them?

On a side-note: Everytime I made "make check/test" in chapter 5, I
kept the logs. Because, as we have discussed on this list, some test
will fail. So does anyone want the logs to compare, so we can make a
better book?

Regards,
Vidar Hoel - vhoel99 at grm.hia.no
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org