coreutils-5.0-hostname.patch

Jouko Orava joorava at pcu.helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 11 15:03:24 PDT 2003

Vidar Hoel wrote:
> Jouko Orava wrote:
> > Noticed that both the original coreutils-5.0-hostname.patch
> > and the version I sent earlier ignored the automake Makefiles,
> > src/Makefile.am and man/Makefile.am .
> >
> > Regenerating the configuration files would remove the patch.
> > Probably nobody ever does that, but here is the updated patch anyway.
>
> If the idea was to patch with your patch, and not the original
> "coreutils-5.0-hostname.patch" as explained in the book (CVS), then I
> got the following error:

Did you try with a clean tree with the original patch at all?
I'd wager you get the same error then.

> <-cut->
> make[2]: Entering directory `/root/coreutils-5.0/src'
> ./wheel-gen.pl 5 \
>   > wheel.h-t
> Can't locate POSIX.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
>   /stage1/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux /stage1/lib/perl5/5.8.0
>   /stage1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux
>   /stage1/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
>   /stage1/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
> ./wheel-gen.pl line 12.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./wheel-gen.pl line 12.
> make[2]: *** [wheel.h] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/coreutils-5.0/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/coreutils-5.0'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I could not duplicate this error, no matter how hard I try.

wheel-gen.pl is a perl script; I think something
went wrong at Perl build at the end of Chapter 5.

Do you still have the Perl source tree?
In perl-5.8.0/hints/linux.sh, the last line should still be:

static_ext="IO re Fcntl"

but it must not be the ONLY line.
(This would happen if you only have a single > in
 the echo command; the complaint about POSIX
 would certainly fit this.
 It should be possible to re-do the Perl step,
 but you must do the '"Locking in" Glibc' from Chapter 5
 before recompiling Perl, and immediately afterwards,
 the 'Adjusting toolchain' from Chapter 6.)

Otherwise, you should untar a clean coreutils
tree, patch the sources, and try again.

Hope this helps,
  Jouko

And dammit, there is nothing wrong with the patch! ;)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org