CH5 - Setting the environment, missing LDFLAGS

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 12 10:27:16 PDT 2003

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is a bug or not.  I am working on cvs version
>> 20030603.  I am reading Greg and Ryans pure_lfs.txt hint and the cvs
>> text at the same time to make sure I "follow the instructions".  In
>> the hint, Greg mentions putting LDFLAGS=-s into the lfs user's
>> .bash_profile file.  In the cvs book, this is missing.
>
> The flag was deliberately removed since it was deemed to be an
> optimization setting. Check out the gcc info page for what the flag does.

Furthermore, although most people won't be debugging.  In the case that you
might want to debug something, libc is most definately something you want
to keep debugging symbols.  I do use -s myself, and it is safe if you do
not plan on debugging, but you should use any flags with extremem
caution...libc is one of the MOST critical components of any running
system.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch