Memory allocation problem with Gawk 3.1.2

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Jun 13 02:17:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:01:17 +0000 (UTC)
pchllck at nexgo.de (Erika Pacholleck) wrote:

> [13.06.2003] Jeremy Utley <-- :
> > Been encountering some problems with Gawk on my server.  Turns out
> > gawk 3.1.2 has a memory allocation problem when trying to parse
> > files in/proc - From my reading of the info I found, it appears that
> > gawk as written chokes because these files appear to be zero-length
> > to gawk, but they actually contain data.  There's a patch to fix
> > this problem on the gnu mailing lists at the link posted below - but
> > I myself haven't had any luck at getting it to apply smoothly.
> >
> > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2003-04/msg00032.html
>
> Attached reo.gawk-3.1.2.patch.gz, applies without problems
>
> I don't understand much of C coding style, so I might be wrong,
> but to my eyes the code looks quite strange
>
> First I am not sure whether the # in front is correct, but as this
> appears also earlier in the file and is not part of the patch, I
> guess it might be ok.

The # is a preprocessor directive.  i.e. before compilation then the
preprocessor acts on the file to slightly alter the code.  The easiest
example to see this working is the #include <someheaderfile.h>
instructions.  When the preprocessor sees this it basically inserts all
of the contents of <someheaderfile.h> into the source file where the
#include statement is.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.  I've also got a patch up at
http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/~ca9mbu/lfs-patches/gawk-3.1.2.zero-sized-files.patch
- you beat me by a couple of seconds Erika!

Cheers,

Matt.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org