Error Message On Shutdown

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Fri Jun 13 08:08:53 PDT 2003

Hi,

This is the most irritating thing about my LFS system.  Whenever
something goes wrong during network configuration, at boot time, dhcpcd
quits.  Then, when I shutdown or reboot, I get a big error message in
red, saying dhcpcd was not running, "You shouldn't be seeing this" . . .
blah, blah, and at last "Press enter to continue".  Problem is, when I
press enter, it doesn't continue.  I just see an escape sequence for the
enter key, and the system continues to hang.  So I have to reset the
machine manually, and then I have to wait like eight minutes for my
improperly unmounted hard drives to scan.

Why does this happen, and how can I avoid it?  It makes me growl in
anger.

Thanks,

--Jason Van Cleve
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org