SBU's?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 13 20:23:57 PDT 2003

On June 13, 2003 09:16 pm, you wrote:
> I don't think we are there yet, but are we renaming SBU's to "Static
> Binutils Units", since this is the first package we compile in CH5?  I

It seesm to be the most logical thing to do yes. It's a bit low on my priority
list though. After the server move has taken place some of the longer
outstandig and bigger things will need to be addressed. Grub is one of those
things that has been sitting for too long now and I just want to get it over
with. There are some package upgrades pending and more importantly some
patches to be applied (bash patches and the updated coreutils hostname patch
to name a few).

> Just in case, here is some data on my test compiles of cvs version
> 20030603 for CH5's packages to help redo SBU's to the new package -
> Binutils.  I timed the configure and make statements.  I did not time
> any little things like mkdir, ln, cp etc.  These take so little time, I
> felt it was not necessary.

Thanks for the data.

The configure, make and make install phases are the ones that really matter.
Like you said the rest is so fast it will make no difference (what's a
milli-second going to do on a installation that takes a few minutes to few
hours).

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org