Ch6: Installing Shadow-4.0.3: suggested patch

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Sat Jun 14 01:37:08 PDT 2003

[14.06.2003] Tushar Teredesai <-- :
> Zack Winkles wrote:
> >On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 01:02:12AM +0200, Edwin van Vliet
> >
> >>Made a patch for the shadow suit install in chapter 6, since I find some
> >>commands rather ugly.
> >>
> >Patch is good. Idea is bad. We don't want to dumb the book down with yet
> >another patch when it's such an oh-so-simple solution.
> >
> I disagree. A patch fixes something that is broken. Making a patch to
> fix a problem is not dumbing down the book. What is the educational
> value in "shadow creates symlinks that are incorrect. Remove the link
> and create the proper link."?

I personally do patch *a lot* of other LFS packages but I consider using
patches for that a private deviation which must not go into the book.

As to the educational value: do you think the educational value is
bigger telling people to apply the patch and then add a similar
explanation for what the patch does? - a patch which most people will
likely never look at but simply apply and hope it works correctly? -
instead of telling them, that is broken, now take over the *full control
yourself* and fix it with these commands.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org