Ch6: Installing Shadow-4.0.3: suggested patch

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 14 08:30:24 PDT 2003

Erika Pacholleck wrote:

>[14.06.2003] Tushar Teredesai <-- :
>

>>I disagree. A patch fixes something that is broken. Making a patch to
>>fix a problem is not dumbing down the book. What is the educational
>>value in "shadow creates symlinks that are incorrect. Remove the link
>>and create the proper link."?
>>

>I personally do patch *a lot* of other LFS packages but I consider using
>patches for that a private deviation which must not go into the book.

Same here. Patches are the proper way to fix a problem rather than
allowing something to be installed and then removing it.

>As to the educational value: do you think the educational value is
>bigger telling people to apply the patch and then add a similar
>explanation for what the patch does? - a patch which most people will
>likely never look at but simply apply and hope it works correctly? -
>instead of telling them, that is broken, now take over the *full control
>yourself* and fix it with these commands.

Any user who starts LFS is expected to know how to remove files and
create symlinks. IMO, the educational value (of the patch approach) is
in the fact that the book shows what is the proper way to fix a problem
[Fix the problem at its source - pun intended ;-)]. Also, the same
people who won't bother to look at the patch are generally the same
people who will copy the instructions without thinking.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org