SBU's?

Brink019 at gmx.net Brink019 at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 06:17:26 PDT 2003

> On June 13, 2003 09:16 pm, you wrote:
> > I don't think we are there yet, but are we renaming SBU's to "Static
> > Binutils Units", since this is the first package we compile in CH5?  I
>
> It seesm to be the most logical thing to do yes. It's a bit low on my
> priority
> list though. After the server move has taken place some of the longer
> outstandig and bigger things will need to be addressed. Grub is one of
> those
> things that has been sitting for too long now and I just want to get it
> over
> with. There are some package upgrades pending and more importantly some
> patches to be applied (bash patches and the updated coreutils hostname
> patch
> to name a few).
>
> > Just in case, here is some data on my test compiles of cvs version
> > 20030603 for CH5's packages to help redo SBU's to the new package -
> > Binutils.  I timed the configure and make statements.  I did not time
> > any little things like mkdir, ln, cp etc.  These take so little time, I
> > felt it was not necessary.
>
> Thanks for the data.
>
> The configure, make and make install phases are the ones that really
> matter.
> Like you said the rest is so fast it will make no difference (what's a
> milli-second going to do on a installation that takes a few minutes to few
>
> hours).

It would be nice there also to have the times for "make check" because some
check phases take a LOT of time, even if the make phases only last for 1
minute or so. So one could then decide where to do the check or not.
I use to do the check, but sometimes I really wonder about the duration.

sinc. Brink

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org