Regarding $TERM

Scot Mc Pherson scot at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 17 08:59:46 PDT 2003

You know I was think we should change the lfs user environment and the
chroot command so that TERM=linux instead of TERM=$TERM.  In some cases I
have discovered that when $TERM != linux during chapter 5, it adversely
effects the following chroot environment.  It might also be mentioned in
the book that xterm by default does not create a login shell and therefore
one might want to manually source their ~/.bash_profile as well as export
TERM=linux.

I realize that these are things that a seasoned user should already be aware
of, and if one is using an ordinary v.console it not important, but we do
have newish users who aren't savy to such things yet, and the mere mention
of it in the book may be enough to guide them to learn about the
differences between types of shells and how differing environments effect
the way the system operates for a user.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
Linux From Scratch