Package dependencies

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Tue Jun 17 13:05:35 PDT 2003

James Robertson wrote:

> I know that at some point, there is going to be a need to go through
> the packages again for the appendix.  I was poking around last night,
> trying to think of an easier way to do this than the manual way we
> have been doing in the past.  I was thinking of writing a script to go
> through and grep for the programs that configure scripts and make
> files look for and use during compiliation.  The script would output a
> log file that we can then adapt for the appendix.

Figuring out the dependencies using the above approach would be huge
programming task, with no guarantees (IMO). How would a script know if
something in the configure script is a program or just some text. Also
grepping thru the source would not give you all library dependencies and
header files used.

It would be easier to use strace to figure out the dependencies and
write a script to read the strace results to find the dependencies.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar