Package dependencies

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Tue Jun 17 16:13:21 PDT 2003

Matthias Benkmann wrote:

>I think strace would complement this nicely. Grep gives you a list of
>programs POTENTIALLY called whereas strace gives you a list of programs
>ACTUALLY called. The truth lies in between, of course.

The truth lies somewhere below what strace will spit out:) Many files
are referenced when compiling a program, but all of them are not
necessarily needed. For example, autoconf will turn up as a dependency,
but if autoconf is not installed, the package will build anyways.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar