Package dependencies

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 17 18:44:39 PDT 2003

Greg Schafer wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:25:31PM -0500, James Robertson wrote:
>
> Parsing autoconf output (with grep or strace or whatever) will produce lots
> of false dependencies. Just because an autoconf script checks for something,
> it doesn't necessarily means the program checked for is a necessary
> dependency. That is too simplistic a viewpoint.
>
> Greg

Ah Ha!  This is why I posted first.  I knew I was missing something.
Thanks Greg.  Do you have any suggestions to a solution?  (I am not
asking you to implement or write anything, just provide help).  There
has got to be a way to automate the dependancy check for packages in
some way. I am not looking for full automation in the least, just a way
to make it quicker.  If we can get that, then maybe we can look at
something better down the road.

What about makefiles, config.log, or configure.in?  I know there are
dependancies in those as well that we might need to worry about.
Something tells me some of you may have barked up this tree before and
go nowhere.

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org