Package dependencies

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 18 11:29:11 PDT 2003

On June 17, 2003 07:44 pm, you wrote:
> Ah Ha!  This is why I posted first.  I knew I was missing something.
> Thanks Greg.  Do you have any suggestions to a solution?  (I am not
> asking you to implement or write anything, just provide help).  There
> has got to be a way to automate the dependancy check for packages in
> some way. I am not looking for full automation in the least, just a way
> to make it quicker.  If we can get that, then maybe we can look at
> something better down the road.

It will be very hard. There is human interaction required. Like others have
said, configure can potentially check for many programs, but they are not
required for the build process itself. Often because some packages use a
generic configure script that checks for a host of programs it doesn't even
need.

Then again some programs configure checks for are only required during
configure's phase itself, for example most all configure scripts need sed,
cut, mv, ls, rm, whatever to do their job of checking for features and
creating Makefile files.

I still think the best way to do this is doing  things manually. I've gone to
a more direct approach: have empty /bin /sbin /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
directories and an empty $PATH as well. Just run ./configure and you will get
a fatal error of a program missing.

Add this program to the proper dir (ie /bin) and rerun configure. Then when
configure runs properly, on to 'make' and 'make install'.

This will take many, many tries but the end result is that you only have files
in the various bin and sbin directories that are actually needed. But there
are gotcha's. Sometimes when configure doesn't find a program it'll happily
continue, make and make install may continue as well, but those missing
programs were needed for a normal functioning program or library, so when you
see "configure:xxxx checking for blah....no" you need to interpret if that
missing file is actually needed for a good working program. Some program
features are disabled when certain programs are missing, but won't cause a
fatal error during build time.

So you can see, this manual method has some pro's and con's. The pro's is that
you get a true dependency list. The (very) big con is that you need to be
very familiar with a program and know which missing files will cause in
different program  behaviour.

http://linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org