Package dependencies

Tushar Teredesai tushart at abbnm.com
Wed Jun 18 11:40:51 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>I still think the best way to do this is doing  things manually. I've gone to
>a more direct approach: have empty /bin /sbin /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
>directories and an empty $PATH as well. Just run ./configure and you will get
>a fatal error of a program missing.

A symlink style package management approach would be helpful for this.

>Add this program to the proper dir (ie /bin) and rerun configure. Then when
>configure runs properly, on to 'make' and 'make install'.

Would it be easier/logical for the book to just include package
dependencies? e.g. Package glibc depends on Packages gcc, binutils,
make, coreutils, ...

If someone needs a more fine grained dependency list, the book should
suggest the above approach (which could be converted into a hint).

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar