Package dependencies

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Jun 18 15:03:15 PDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:29:11 -0600 Gerard Beekmans
<gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Then again some programs configure checks for are only required during
> configure's phase itself,

And you don't consider those to be dependencies?
Are we talking about build-time or run-time dependencies here?

> But there are gotcha's. Sometimes when configure doesn't find a program
> it'll happily continue, make and make install may continue as well, but
> those missing programs were needed for a normal functioning program or
> library,

If this happens during a normal LFS build, then LFS is broken and we have
a much worse problem than an incorrect dependency list. If the dep list
comes from a normal LFS build, this should not be an issue.

> is that you get a true dependency list. The (very) big con is that you
> need to be very familiar with a program and know which missing files
> will cause in different program  behaviour.

Why is that such a big con? Don't we have all this knowledge around here?

MSB

--
I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org