Package dependencies

Arnold Schiller schiller at maxi.babsi.com
Wed Jun 18 15:35:18 PDT 2003

Am Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:18:37 +0000 schrieb James Robertson:

> What do the big guys (RedHat, SuSE, etc) do?  Or are they so "in tune"
> with the packages, that they know what the dependancies are?

I mean,SuSE does a RPM-Build. rpm -ba package.spec In these spec-files you
can  read:
Autoreqprov:  on

glibc.spec from SuSE has a comment like this:
------------
# neededforbuild
# usedforbuild    aaa_base aaa_version acl attr bash bind9-utils bison
cpio cpp cyrus-sasl db devs diffutils e2fsprogs file filesystem fileutils
fillup findutils flex gawk gdbm-devel glibc glibc-devel glibc-locale gpm
grep groff gzip kbd less libgcc libstdc++ libxcrypt m4 make man mktemp
modutils ncurses ncurses-devel net-tools netcfg pam pam-devel pam-modules
patch permissions ps rcs readline sed sendmail sh-utils shadow strace
syslogd sysvinit tar texinfo textutils timezone unzip util-linux vim
zlib-devel autoconf automake binutils bzip2 cracklib gcc gdbm gettext
libtool perl rpm zlib

When a package is built by RPM, if any file in the package's %files list
is a shared library, the library's soname is automatically added to the
list of capabilities the package provides. The soname is the name used to
determine compatibility between different versions of a library.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-depend-auto-depend.html

Regards,
Arnold
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org