Package dependencies

James Robertson jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 19 06:41:25 PDT 2003

Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:29:11 -0600 Gerard Beekmans
> <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>>Then again some programs configure checks for are only required during
>>configure's phase itself,
>
> And you don't consider those to be dependencies?

I do.  This is why I started this thread.

> Are we talking about build-time or run-time dependencies here?

I was thinking built-time dependencies.  What is required by a package
to successfully configue, make and make install.  I would think that
run-time dependencies would very similar (actualy a sub-set) of the
build-time ones.  This may not be true in all cases, but probably true
in most.  This is what configure scripts are for in the first place - to
make sure that the environment has all the required stuff before running
make.

>>But there are gotcha's. Sometimes when configure doesn't find a program
>>it'll happily continue, make and make install may continue as well, but
>>those missing programs were needed for a normal functioning program or
>>library,
>
> If this happens during a normal LFS build, then LFS is broken and we have
> a much worse problem than an incorrect dependency list. If the dep list
> comes from a normal LFS build, this should not be an issue.

I agree.  That seems a bit scary.  Has anyone seen this directly?  I
have only been doing LFS for about 9 months.  In that time I have built
about 12 boxes. I like to look at the configure logs on each build to
see what was found and not.  Have learned a lot by doing this.  I have
not seen an instance where confire said it could not find something and
make and/or make install kept on going.  Actually, in my experience,
configure crapped out when it could not find something important that
the program needed.

>>is that you get a true dependency list. The (very) big con is that you
>>need to be very familiar with a program and know which missing files
>>will cause in different program  behaviour.
>
> Why is that such a big con? Don't we have all this knowledge around here?
>
> MSB

I would think so.  There are a lot of folks on these lists with some
excellent experience.

Remember that my origianl goal was to try and find and easier way to
find a package's dependencies without going through a manual inspection
of the files and/or do a "Gerard" style manual build.

James Robertson | jameswrobertson at earthlink.net
Reg. LFS User:   #6981    http://www.linuxfromscatch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org