news about default kernel compliers

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Mon Jun 23 10:16:40 PDT 2003

On Monday 23 June 2003 10:54 am, Steve Prior wrote:
> I was wondering about compilers and Red Hat 8.0 - they seem to use gcc 3.2
> and I thought that was a no no for recompiling the kernel, but they have
> no special notes (or an alternative compiler) about doing so.  Does
> anyone know if it is really OK to rebuild a kernel with this level of
> the compiler?

I'm certainly not authoritative here, but I do know that just about every port
out there besides x86 is now using gcc 3.x for kernel compiles.  Some use it
exclusively, not even compiling on 2.x at all. (such as hppa)

Not that that means these kernels can be considered stable, nor has it any
bearing on how stable gcc 3.x is for an x86 target.

Nick

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org