Suggestion for CVS re GID's

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Thu Jun 26 19:22:58 PDT 2003

From: "Tushar Teredesai" <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org>

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
> >The current CVS instructions create the user "lfs", without
specifying a
> >group for that user.  This causes useradd to default to gid "100".
> >However, if no group is specified for GID 100, the glibc make check
in
> >chapter 5 WILL bail, every time.
> >
> >We should probably have a "groupadd -g 100 users" set up there, and
warn
> >the user that this may error, if the distro has already set up a gid
> >100.
> >

> Or just remove the useradd command and let the user make his/her own
> decision on what user to use and how to create the user.

Now, this idea I SERIOUSLY don't like - the whole point of the lfs user
is to keep the chapter
5 compiles from going awry and polluting the host system - and speaking
as someone who's
done that before, I think this is important.  We really should leave the
lfs user there - and the
book should at least mention the gid 100 issue, as long as we're running
the make checks.

-J-