Suggestion for CVS re GID's

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 26 19:54:26 PDT 2003

Jeremy Utley wrote:

>From: "Tushar Teredesai" <tushar at linuxfromscratch.org>
>

>>Or just remove the useradd command and let the user make his/her own
>>decision on what user to use and how to create the user.
>>

>Now, this idea I SERIOUSLY don't like - the whole point of the lfs user
>is to keep the chapter
>5 compiles from going awry and polluting the host system - and speaking
>as someone who's
>done that before, I think this is important.  We really should leave the
>lfs user there - and the
>book should at least mention the gid 100 issue, as long as we're running
>the make checks.

Not what I meant.

I meant that the book should highly recommend that Ch 5 be compiled as a
non-root user, and should recommend creating a seperate account rather
than using an existing non-root user. But the specific groupadd/useradd
commands should be left out of the book. (Maybe mention that groupadd
and useradd can be used to add a group and user to the system.)

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org