FAQ/ audience

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Fri Jun 27 10:23:51 PDT 2003

Gerard Beekmans said the following on 27-6-2003 18:44:
> On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 23:28, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>>I'm not trying to suggest LFS is insufficient wrt. its intended
>>audience, I'm trying to suggest it's intended audience and it's actual
>>audience are not clear from the book.
>

> I didn't read all the emails of this (and that other thread started as
> --enable-languages for gcc) but it seems you guys are overlooking one
> thing.
<snip>

IMHO it seems a lot of people on the support lists don't know their
skills are insufficient for the book. This resulted (at that time) in a
peak of FAQ's, which led me to believe that the actual audience, (with
which I meant the people on the lists), was different from it's intended
audience and that this difference wasn't sufficiently clear from the
book or the website. The book mentions it in one page but people often
overlook or disregard this, and it seems simple enough to just copy &
paste those commands so they continue.

You're right of course in when you say that only people who have
problems come to the list, so the book is more successfull then it
seemed in this thread. But the number of people who ask questions which
are easily answered by the FAQ, the book or the website is IMHO
disproportionate to the number of people with legitimate problems.

Gerard, this was actually the discussion which inspired me to become FAQ
maintainer and to redesign the website. Especially the website, which
led people to the mailinglist instead of the FAQ, who placed BLFS and
the hints at the bottom, causing a lot of requests which people could
easily solve themselves.

> Having said all this, I do agree the book has to change in some ways.
> But I don't think we're doing all that badly as sometimes seems.

Heh, there's always room for improvement right? :) It's the basic nature
of LFS'ers, else they wouldn't have this itch to build it from scratch!
I have some ideas which should improve it, some of these have allready
floated on the lists or are in bugzilla, such as less
newbie-friendliness, more documentation pointers, more explanation ala
pure_lfs.txt and less copy & pasting (since even _that_ sometimes causes
a problem! :) ).

Glad to see you're catching up on your mail :)

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org