FAQ/ audience

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Fri Jun 27 15:22:08 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 14:29, The Cheeze wrote:

> Firstly let me say that my data is most assuredly not as good as the data
> of others since i have only been subscribed to lfs-support for ~10months
> and lfs-dev for ~2months. That being said, I have to agree with Jeroen on
> this point. I would say considerably more than half (easily) of the mails
> on lfs-support are answered by the faq, the book itself, or the hints. I
> more attribute this to the possibility that people don't know where to go
> to get information than to the target audience of the book but that's just
> my opinion. Let me rephrase that actually. Some people don't know where to
> go to find the information and some people don't want to bother to look to
> see if there is information they can use. Again, just my $.02.

For awhile I was actually tracking those statistics, (which inevitably
lead to me unsubbing BLFS-Support for awhile when I realized how much of
my time was being wasted looking at it) and you are soooo hitting the
nail on the head there.

About the only thing I could think of that would maybe reduce those
numbers would be to send out a copy of the relevant FAQ to each person
who subscribes to the lists, and maybe attach a little note at the tope
that says "If you ask a question already answered in this FAQ, we will
all laugh at you."  The number of people who post dumb questions who
/aren't/ subscribed are well under 5% of list content.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org