FAQ/ audience

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Sat Jun 28 04:54:12 PDT 2003

> El Viernes 27 de Junio de 2003 19:22, Dagmar d'Surreal escribió:
>
>>About the only thing I could think of that would maybe reduce those
>>numbers would be to send out a copy of the relevant FAQ to each person
>>who subscribes to the lists, and maybe attach a little note at the tope
>>that says "If you ask a question already answered in this FAQ, we will
>>all laugh at you."  The number of people who post dumb questions who
>>/aren't/ subscribed are well under 5% of list content.

That has been my suggestion too for ages now. Glad to see I'm not the
only one. I forgot why that idea was rejected at the time.

Well, since I'm the FAQ maintainer now I'm gonna propose the idea to
Gerard again.
To accomodate this I can split the FAQ up in different sections, based
on the mailinglist one would subscribe too, and we'd give a link to the
FAQ at the end. Another thing I'd like to see, which is common on lists,
is a pointer to the FAQ in the signature. Oldtimers may remember that
before the current signature, we'd get a lot of unsubscribe messages on
the lists. These messages have been greatly reduced.

These changes, along with the changes on the website, should reduce
FAQ's on the list considerably. The only thing left would be the book.
Some chapters need to be shuffled:

I. Part I - Introduction

     1. Introduction

         Acknowledgments
         How things are going to be done
         Conventions used in this book
         Book version
         Mirror sites
         Changelog
         Mailing lists and archives
         News server
         Contact information

     2. Important information

         About $LFS
         About SBUs
         How to ask for help

should become:

I. Part I - Introduction

     1. Introduction

         Acknowledgments
         How things are going to be done
         Conventions used in this book
         Book version
         Mirror sites
         Changelog
	<snip mail, news, faq>
         Contact information

     2. Important information

         About $LFS
         About SBUs
         How to ask for help
		- IRC
		- News
		- Mail
		(the order in which one would get the fastest help)

Ricardo Barberis said the following on 28-6-2003 5:25:
> How about this? Don't mention the mailing lists at all in the website, just
> point to the FAQ.
> Then, the last Q could be "I'm still having problems. Where can I get more
> help?" and the A would be the mailing lists.
> If someone already suggested this, count my vote :-)

That's not a good idea since not all lists are for support.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org