FAQ/ audience

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Sat Jun 28 06:06:10 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

>>El Viernes 27 de Junio de 2003 19:22, Dagmar d'Surreal escribió:
>>

>>>About the only thing I could think of that would maybe reduce those
>>>numbers would be to send out a copy of the relevant FAQ to each person
>>>who subscribes to the lists, and maybe attach a little note at the tope
>>>that says "If you ask a question already answered in this FAQ, we will
>>>all laugh at you."  The number of people who post dumb questions who
>>>/aren't/ subscribed are well under 5% of list content.
>

> That has been my suggestion too for ages now. Glad to see I'm not the
> only one.  [...]

Yes, Please!

> Another thing I'd like to see, which is common on lists,
> is a pointer to the FAQ in the signature. Oldtimers may remember that
> before the current signature, we'd get a lot of unsubscribe messages on
> the lists. These messages have been greatly reduced. [...]

Another thing I see as common is a monthly "pointer" to the faq.  If a
pointer is included in every mail it might be a little redundent but it
could maybe be a more verbose version, incuding perhaps a list of
changes over the past month.  Seth's weekly "cousins" style faq posting
were appreciated, but that definatly takes some administrative
dedication to trawl the various lists and compile all the faq's that
were asked, etc...

Cheers,

~Jason

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org