website newsgrp

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Sat Jun 28 06:29:04 PDT 2003

Stefan Krah said the following on 28-6-2003 15:20:
> * Jeroen Coumans <jeroencoumans at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>Stefan Krah said the following on 28-6-2003 9:20:
>>
>>>Could you please name the groups lfs.faq and lfs.website. The faq
>>>group right now looks strange w/o the lfs hierarchy.
>>
>>That was my idea. The FAQ and the Website are "meta" projects, they
>>concern all current LFS projects (LFS, BLFS, ALFS and the hints). So
>>they shouldn't fall in the hierarchy of LFS alone.
>>The names are thus chosen because of their semantic correctness. esides,
>>they're identified by the @linuxfromscratch.org so I don't see the problem.
>

> I get the idea and for the mailinglists it is ok, but for news it is not.
> Look at my /var/spool/news:
>
> root at canberra:~# ls /var/spool/news/
> blfs  dormant.groups   faq        interesting.groups  lfs         out.going
> de    failed.postings  in.coming  leaf.node           message.id  temp.files
>
> You see the top level hierarchies blfs, de, lfs and *faq*. I also use
> another news server, news.cis.dfn.de. What if cis.dfn.de decides to
> create a top level hierarchy named faq? (Yes, I know they won't, but
> why should LFS use top level hierarchies so lavishly?)
>
> One should keep in mind that LFS is not only the LFS project, but also
> the abbreviation for linuxfromscratch[.org]. The top level hierarchy
> lfs.* refers to the domain as well as to the project. It would even make
> sense to drop blfs.* and create groups like lfs.blfs.support. (But I
> don't really suggest that, just making a point.)

It's a good point. In my defense, I don't know much about the newsgroups
since I don't use them.

Just some thoughts here. Isn't there an option in your newsreader to
display newsgroups based on servers? I assume that your /var/spool/news
isn't what you use for reading, right? And certainly you can arrange
that *.linuxfromscratch.org goes under
/var/spool/news/www.linuxfromscratch.org, like it's intended? Otherwise,
how would conflicts be resolved if you subscribe to, say
bugs at mozilla.org and bugs at gnome.org? They wouldn't both be called
"bugs", right?

Also, your complaint applies to the hints too (so there's a precedent
for faq@ and website@).

Anyway, since Gerard is going to convert to GNU Mailman, perhaps there
will also be changes in the newsgroups to accomodate these complaints.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org