empty autoconf.h = module compile errors

Oliver Brakmann obrakmann at gmx.net
Sat Mar 1 05:52:26 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 17:15, Matt Bartley wrote...
> Now that I have a nicely operating LFS partition (built from the
> pure-lfs hint, followed by some goodies from BLFS), I've been
> experimenting with compiling device driver modules.
[...]
> I quickly found that even simple programs would bomb during compile:
>
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
>                            from /usr/include/linux/list.h:6,
>                            from /usr/include/linux/module.h:12,
>                            hellomod.c:8:
> /usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared
>   here (not in a function)
> /usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: requested alignment is not a constant

The exact same error occurs when compiling the nvidia kernel driver.
`make dep' in the kernel source tree typically solves this.

Device driver modules should _never_ include files from /usr/include,
but rather from /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/{asm,linux}, AFAIK.

That's what I remember from reading this list anyway ;-)

Bye,
Oliver
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon   | Reg. Linux User #198843            http://counter.li.org