empty autoconf.h = module compile errors

Matt Bartley mbartley2 at cox.NOSPAM.net
Sun Mar 2 11:04:06 PST 2003

In article <20030301135226.GA662 at ID-32970.news.dfncis.de>,
 Oliver Brakmann <obrakmann at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-02-28 17:15, Matt Bartley wrote...

> > In file included from /usr/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
> >                            from /usr/include/linux/list.h:6,
> >                            from /usr/include/linux/module.h:12,
> >                            hellomod.c:8:
> > /usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared
> >   here (not in a function)
> > /usr/include/asm/processor.h:56: requested alignment is not a constant

> The exact same error occurs when compiling the nvidia kernel driver.
> `make dep' in the kernel source tree typically solves this.

No, so much as "make oldconfig"  takes care of it.  But I'm used to
running "make distclean", if not rm -rf /usr/src/linux, as soon as I
finish installing a new kernel - to free up disk space.

> Device driver modules should _never_ include files from /usr/include,
> but rather from /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/{asm,linux}, AFAIK.

My LFS kernel is very simple - no modules.  Thus there was no
/lib/modules/ directory tree anyway.

There is now. I think I ran "make modules_install" just to see what
would happen.  It installed a framework, including that "build" symlink.

Besides, by including the /usr/include headers I was compiling for
2.4.20, and that's the version of the kernel my system is running anyway.

I'll keep this in mind -- I'm still very much in learning mode about the
kernel and modules.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org