empty autoconf.h = module compile errors

Matt Bartley mbartley2 at cox.NOSPAM.net
Sun Mar 2 11:20:48 PST 2003

In article <b3qbe3$8o0$1 at quasar.highos.com>,
 James Iwanek <chthon at chthon-uk.com> wrote:

> Matt Bartley wrote:

> > This may be an obscure case, but /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h ought to
> > not be left blank after the LFS install.  What would be appropriate?
> > Perhaps the include/linux/autoconf.h file resulting from compiling the
> > kernel in Chapter 8 : Installing Linux 2.4.20?

> which programs does this occur with?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  I'm working on a data logging
project for a class, and part of the assignment is compiling a custom
parallel port device driver.

But the compiler error I mentioned earlier happens even with the first
sample module from the OReilly book:

#define MODULE
#define __KERNEL__
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>    /* printk() */

int init_module (void)
{ printk ("<1>Hello, world!\n"); return 0; }

void cleanup_module (void)
{ printk ("<1>Goodbye, cruel world!\n"); }

module.h includes config.h, which includes autoconf.h.  If that is
blank, then <asm/processor.h> (another included file) complains about
undefined symbol CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org