cross-compiling LFS

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Mon Mar 3 17:22:49 PST 2003

> I know that what I describe sounds a little harry but still doable. the
> sad truth is that it's actually probably harder and you might not get it
> to work.

I can say it is not the most fun thing to attempt...

> the last time I personally tried this, I used glibc 2.2.5 and
> gcc 2.95.3 to build a GNU/Hurd cross-toolchain for a linux host, and
> after _lots_ of googling around for info on cross-compiling I eventually
> got it to work. I even tried using gcc 3.x but for some reason I couldn't
> get it t work at the time.

The big problem is you are building blind most of the time, you can't check
anything you build as you build it...

Also you will have to spend a hell of a lot of time fixing breakages in
configures (bash is one, as prev mentioned) where you'll find plenty of
checks cannot be run when cross-compiling.
Its sometimes nice to have a system around of the same arch already running
linux so you can check what configure is trying to set, and slot it into
config.status/log whatever

either way, better keep the coffee coming ;-)

Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org