ldscripts adjustment

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 4 17:26:16 PST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 06:22 pm, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> > How about removing all static libraries (*.a) and all the
> > dynamic library links (*.so) from /stage1 at the end of Ch
> > 5? They take up unneccessary space and we can be absolutely
> > sure that nothing can link against the libs in /stage1.
> >
> > Before somebody jumps on my about the *.so files, the
> > libfoo.so is a symbolic link to libfoo.so.N and is needed
> > only when linking packages against libfoo and not needed at
> > runtime.
>
> We could but it is unnecessary, the only reason would be to
> save space. Nothing will link against stage1 stuff in ch6, the
> only chance would have been glibc, but that looks after
> itself...

We need to at least leave /static/lib/gcc-lib/*/libgcc*.a in
place.  gcc tends to need that stuff to compile other
stuff--probably it's the core of the C runtime library.

If gcc is doing its thing properly, it should compile those libs
using only its own internal stage 1 compiler.  So they shouldn't
carry anything from the host system unless the host system
produces a broken stage1 compiler.  Pure-LFS experts should now
step forth and correct me if I'm wrong...

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org