e2fsprogs-1.32 wrong exit code?

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Wed Mar 5 02:32:13 PST 2003

* Archaic <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:
> I've been noticing a problem lately with e2fsprogs. It only seems to
> happen with 1.32 and only on partitions created with 1.32. Whenever it
> optimizes directories (which seems to be the default with forced fsck's)
> it exits (presumably) with an error code between 3 and 15, which causes
> the checkfs script to poweroff the system. Upon restarting, everything
> is fine. I couldn't find anything in the tarball relating to this. Has
> anyone else seen this? I didn't see anything in the Sourceforge forum,
> so I thought I would start here.

I came across this thread, where someone had similar problems which
were solved by disabling HTREE:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0211.0/1181.html

And all major distros seem to patch e2fsprogs-1.32 in order to
disable HTREE by default and that's the way it will be in the
next release:

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but might be a good idea
to include the patch in the book. [crosspost and f'up to lfs.dev]

Stefan Krah
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org