Latest Pure-LFS hint update

Frank Gore fgore at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 5 16:02:44 PST 2003

On March 5, 2003 03:29 pm, you wrote:
> >> In this part
> >>
> >> Please note, the intention here is to add the above commands to your
> >> "/home/lfs/.bash_profile" so that they are always available when
> >> "su'ing" to the lfs user. Therefore the "Setting up the environment"
> >> commands will be:-
> >>
> >>     cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
> >>     set +h
> >>     umask 022
> >>     LFS=/mnt/lfs
> >>     LC_ALL=POSIX
> >>     LDFLAGS="-s"
> >>     PATH=/stage1/bin:$PATH
> >>     export LFS LC_ALL LDFLAGS PATH
> >>     EOF
> >>     source ~/.bash_profile
> >>

> >> There should be an EOF at the end.
> >> Torsten
> >
> >Observe the second last line.
> >After that the script is sourced so the variables are set into your
> >interactive shell.
>
> Yes, I'm braindead this afternoon.

Not completely braindead :) There is a problem there for those who copy and
paste straight from the guide. This is something I came across while going
through the hint a while ago, but wasn't gonna bother mentioning :) In the
guide, that code block is indented. So there's a bunch of spaces preceding
each line (including the EOF). Because of this, cat doesn't interpret it as
an EOF and therefore keeps expecting input. It doesn't generate the file and
bring the user back to the prompt.

This isn't such a big deal, but it had me confused for about 763 milliseconds.
Someone slightly more ignorant than I might be stumped.

Frank
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org