Potential Speedup - gcc-3.2.x compiling large g++ projects

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 6 12:03:13 PST 2003

On March 4, 2003 05:02 pm, Lee Hancock wrote:
> Does this patch speed up c projects? The reason i asked is that my compile
> time for Xfree86 4.3.0 has jumped from 52mins to 39mins. The only two
> factors I changed was glibc-2.3.1 to glibc-2.3.2 and changed ggc-page.c to
> 128mb. Going to compile kde later, will post the results.

Yes it'll speed up both C and C++ however you will see a bigger difference in
C++ projects due to the nature of such code, (a lot) more garbage collection
takes place.

Here are some more other packages I tested with:
http://tools.devchannel.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/05/1521240&mode=thread&tid=39

I used GCC-3.3-CVS to base that article on (gcc-3.3-cvs now has a dynamic
garbage collection heap size allocation based on how much RAM your kernel
reports. On my 512 MB machine I get:

GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=64 --param ggc-min-heapsize=64221

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org