Pure LFS - can't create shared libraries

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Mar 8 15:41:57 PST 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:33:33PM -0500, torsten wrote:
> Well, I got through the third compilation of gcc
> in chapter 6, and I am starting to install the rest
> of the packages.
>
> Installing zlib:
> root:/src/zlib-1.1.4# CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC" \
> >     ./configure --prefix=/usr --shared
> Checking for gcc...
> Checking for shared library support...
> No shared library suppport; try without defining CC and CFLAGS
> Building static library libz.a version 1.1.4 with cc.
> Checking for unistd.h... No.
> Checking for errno.h...  No.
> Checking for mmap support... No.
> root:/src/zlib-1.1.4#
>

> Hmm, what did I foobar?

Dunno. But this looks like standard support fodder so Timothy is probably
right that this is not the right list. FWIW, I try to keep up with all the
lists.

The configure script for zlib is so primitive it doesn't even keep a
config.log so I'm afraid you'll have to debug this one by hand. But it looks
like something is amiss with your gcc.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org