Successful pure-lfs installation

Frank Gore fgore at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 9 13:12:12 PST 2003

Well I'm on my 4th (or is it 5th?) successful PureLFS system. I've been using
the PureLFS hint in its various incarnations ever since it was first posted
here. My latest setup stems from the March 3rd (4th?) hint, which has yielded
the best results so far and was almost as easy to follow as the LFS book.

I killed /stage1 (moved it elsewhere, did not delete it) as soon as the base
system was complete, and proceded to compile everything I needed to get
XFree86 4.3 and KDE 3.1 up and running. There were never any issues, except
for a couple of rare instances where I had to use the gcc-2.95.3 compiler to
get some packages compiled properly (ie. xscreensaver).

I even have Java 2 SDK, Mozilla 1.2.1 and OpenOffice 1.0.2 up and running, all
compiled with gcc-3.2.2. And I used optimizations and stripped everything I
could whenever I could.

I'll likely be keeping this latest setup as my main working system. I'm very
happy with the way things run, I'm having no real issues (except being unable
to use the keyboard with KDM, to be resolved later), and the performance of
the system blows away my venerable Slackware setup, which resides on the same
system and has always been my host OS.

As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely a great success on my end. I'll
likely try out any other changes made to the PureLFS hint, but only for
curiosity's sake and to help test. This current system is here to stay.

For the record, I used the PureLFS hint, not the build scripts. My system is
an AthlonXP 1900+ with 512 MB ram on a VIA KT333 motherboard with a Highpoint
374 IDE RAID controller (only works with linux 2.4.20-ac2). The entire
PureLFS system resides on a 3-drive RAID-0 array. Beyond manually creating
the /dev/ataraid devices, I didn't have to do anything special to get this
hardware to function properly.

Frank
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org