Gcc and the need for "make bootstrap"

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au
Mon Mar 10 14:51:44 PST 2003

> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:15:35 +0000 (UTC)
> gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:
>
> > Hi
>
> > Do we really need to "make bootstrap" at every phase of gcc
> > installation?
> >
> > The answer is no.
>
> But can you garauntee it from any host?

Its a fair assumption, but probably can't be guaranteed... not without
testing...

With the purelfs build anyway, we have already built and bootstrapped a
c-compiler of the same version (second package), thereby satisfying the
need for a compiler capable of properly building gcc...

So far it seems to work for me ( only 1 build so far ), shaves 25 minutes
off each gcc build...
It'd be a nice shortcut if we could verify it across a few different
architectures...

Regards
Ryan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org