Gcc and the need for "make bootstrap"

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 11 03:01:32 PST 2003

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 12:08:14AM +0000, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:15:35 +0000 (UTC)
> gschafer at zip.com.au (Greg Schafer) wrote:
>
> > Hi
>
> > Do we really need to "make bootstrap" at every phase of gcc
> > installation?
> >
> > The answer is no.
>
> But can you garauntee it from any host?

Ummm, how could I possibly do that?? That's like me asking you "can you
guarantee me that your program is bug free?"

As long as the 1st bootstrap is successful, the gcc build system ensures
that subsequent builds are identical. This is the "gcc" way and my testing
confirms it. I've now done the same tests with the Ch 6 gcc with identical
results.

This will likely go into the hint. If folk are unsure, I've given them the
recipe on how to test it out for themselves :-)

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org