Texinfo installation note

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Thu Mar 13 04:40:59 PST 2003

I have just upgraded from texinfo 4.3 to 4.5 to recover from dir file
corruption. Before the installation, the corrupted file was moved away.
During the installation, the environment variable LC_ALL was set to
ru_RU.koi8r (forgot to unset).

As a result, the top node (/usr/share/info/dir) began speaking Russian! Then I
added all info files back with install-info.

Of course, the info system is badly designed since it doesn't allow for
coexistence of info files for the same program, but translated into different
languages. So the only file containing Russian text is still
/usr/share/info/dir. Not too much, but still a pleasant eye candy you may
want to know about.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org