Who understands this code?

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Mar 14 02:29:50 PST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:04:27 +1100 Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au>
wrote:

> For the record, my logs dating back to Aug 2002 with gcc-3.1.1 also
> confirm the problem back then.

Strange. I can't reproduce this even with a system more recent than that:

root:/lfs# chroot /lfs /static/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM
PS1='\u:\w\$ ' PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/static/bin /bin/bash
root:/# cd /tmp
root:/tmp# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20021007 (experimental)
PURPOSE.

root:/tmp# /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.1, by Roland McGrath et al.
Copyright (C) 1992-2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3 20021007 (experimental).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.19 system on 2002-10-13.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs at gnu.org>.
root:/tmp# gcc -W -Wall -O2 -o ct-mmap ct-mmap.c
ct-mmap.c: In function `sigsegv':
ct-mmap.c:86: warning: unused parameter `unused'
ct-mmap.c: In function `test_0':
ct-mmap.c:98: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'
ct-mmap.c: In function `test_3':
ct-mmap.c:179: warning: variable `x' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
ct-mmap.c:179: warning: variable `y' might be clobbered by `longjmp' or
`vfork'
/usr/include/bits/stdio.h: At top level:
ct-mmap.c:69: warning: `devzero' defined but not used
root:/tmp# rm /etc/ld.so.cache
root:/tmp# ./ct-mmap
root:/tmp# ldconfig
root:/tmp# ./ct-mmap
root:/tmp#

And, I don't want to start a new flamewar, but have you built the system
without ANY kind of optimizations (setting the default architecture GCC
compiles for and other stuff that's "not supposed to make a difference"
counts as optimization) and tweaks?

I've attached my ct-mmap to this message. Does it fail in your chroot? If
it does I think we can eliminate GCC/binutils as a cause for the problem.
In that case I could mail you my glibc to see if replacing that will make
a difference.
If the problem still persists this only leaves the kernel I think.

MSB

--
Why is TV called a medium?
Because it's neither rare nor well done.