/usr/bin/time script

Kelledin kelledin+LFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 14 10:48:09 PST 2003

This is similar to the "which" issue we hit a while back, except
that the "time" command _is_ available...as a bash keyword.
This would normally be enough, but the keyword's behavior
differs from what some apps expect:

1) LADSPA expects "time" to be available as an executable utility
in the system PATH.  Just a bash keyword isn't enough; LADSPA
emits a "make: time: Command not found" error during build and
promptly punts.

2) Some MySQL test/benchmark scripts try to gather the output of
the time command.  Using "time" as a bash keyword is a problem,
because unless "time" gets executed in a shell all its own,
simply grabbing stdout or stderr doesn't seem to pick up the
output.

The simplest way I know to take care of this is to use a bash
wrapper script, attached below.  Probably fitting to put this in
BLFS with the "which" instructions...

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"