From glibc-2.2.5 to 2.3.2: the LFS way at jeopardy?

James Iwanek chthon at chthon-uk.com
Fri Mar 14 14:01:55 PST 2003

Richard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the beef is the following: either I am in for a major cock-up (most
> likely) or the LFS way does not cut it any more... :)
>
> I am presently trying to build a new LFS (using the old 4.0 method)
> based on my "old" glibc-2.2.5/gcc-3.0.4 set-up to create a new
> glibc-2.3.2/gcc-3.2.2-based one.
>
> Using the old long "recipe" I was lucky to produce a working
> glibc-2.3.1/gcc-3.2.2 build, which was stable and totally satisfactory.
> This build had KDE-3.1 with qt-3.1.1 fully functional. Yet, it was a
> transitory experiment, just to check/upgrade all the updated intervening
> packages and scripts.
>
> Now that I want to use exactly the same "recipe" to build The Final
> System (tm :), glibc-2.3.2 has decided to stop the show. I have enclosed
> herewith the copies of 'config.log' and the output from 'configure'.
>
> Any help will be appreciated as, apparently, I am standing in front of
> the tree and cannot see the forest beyond it...
>
> Did anyone have already hit this one and managed to create a
> work-around? TIA
>
> Richard

this might be the problem:
../glibc-2.3.2/configure: line 1: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory

and the way to fix it is:

ln -s /usr/bin/cpp /lib/cpp

hope this helps:

btw: upgrading from glibc-2.2.5 to 2.3.x is quite dangerous

my advice would be to start again from scratch using the cvs version of the
book

--
Jay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org