filesystem error and wrong interprtation in bootscripts

Christian Hesse news at earthworm.de
Mon Mar 17 06:12:59 PST 2003

Hello!

I'm running a lfs-system from cvs, some packages upgrade. I do not have any
problems with my file system in the normal running system. But sometimes
the checks after the maximum mount count ist reached seems to find errors.
There is something said about "Optimizing Directories" and after that the
lfs-bootscripts want to halt my system.

So here are my two questions:

1. Are there any known bugs in e2fsprogs version 1.32 concerning the
optimization of directories? And if fsck optimizes the directories, what
exit status does it return? I couldn't find anything about that in the
manpage.

2. If fsck corrects an error, it returns 3 regarding to the manpage (1 for
the occured error + 2 for the needed reboot). But if I look in the lfs
bootscripts (/etc/rc.d/init.d/checkfs) an exit status of 3 is already
interpreted as a fatal error that halts the system:

if [ "$error_value" -gt 2 -a "$error_value" -lt 16 ]
then
 [...]
 $rc_base/init.d/halt
fi

Perhaps the first line should better be like this:

if [ "$error_value" -gt 3 -a "$error_value" -lt 16 ]

only halting with a value equal to or greater than four.

Christian

--
LinuxOB.de
... die mit dem Pinguin tanzen.