filesystem error and wrong interprtation in bootscripts

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at hermes.sunderland.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 06:21:38 PST 2003

"Christian Hesse" <news at earthworm.de> wrote in message
news:b54l7c$j85$1 at quasar.highos.com...
> Hello!
>
> I'm running a lfs-system from cvs, some packages upgrade. I do not
have any
> problems with my file system in the normal running system. But
sometimes
> the checks after the maximum mount count ist reached seems to find
errors.
> There is something said about "Optimizing Directories" and after that
the
> lfs-bootscripts want to halt my system.
>
> So here are my two questions:
>
> 1. Are there any known bugs in e2fsprogs version 1.32 concerning the
> optimization of directories? And if fsck optimizes the directories,
what
> exit status does it return? I couldn't find anything about that in the
> manpage.
>
> 2. If fsck corrects an error, it returns 3 regarding to the manpage (1
for
> the occured error + 2 for the needed reboot). But if I look in the lfs
> bootscripts (/etc/rc.d/init.d/checkfs) an exit status of 3 is already
> interpreted as a fatal error that halts the system:

This was discussed fairly recently I think - you may want to check the
archives (searchable at http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/) for more
concrete details but IIRC it was realised that the bootscripts didn't
handle the exit codes of the newer versions of e2fsprogs and I believe
some fixes were contributed for consideration although as I said before
the archives will certainy give you more definitive answers.

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org