e2fsprogs-1.32 wrong exit code?

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 21:14:12 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:32:13AM +0100, Stefan Krah wrote:
> * Archaic <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:
> > I've been noticing a problem lately with e2fsprogs. It only seems to
> > happen with 1.32 and only on partitions created with 1.32. Whenever it
> > optimizes directories (which seems to be the default with forced fsck's)
> > it exits (presumably) with an error code between 3 and 15, which causes
> > the checkfs script to poweroff the system. Upon restarting, everything
> > is fine. I couldn't find anything in the tarball relating to this. Has
> > anyone else seen this? I didn't see anything in the Sourceforge forum,
> > so I thought I would start here.
>
> I came across this thread, where someone had similar problems which
> were solved by disabling HTREE:
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0211.0/1181.html
>
> And all major distros seem to patch e2fsprogs-1.32 in order to
> disable HTREE by default and that's the way it will be in the
> next release:

> I don't know if this is related to your problem, but might be a good idea
> to include the patch in the book. [crosspost and f'up to lfs.dev]

Yes, after checking the configure.in, HTREE is labeled experimental, yet
also enabled by default. After reading the above mentioned thread, I
concur that --disable-htree should be used in the book until the default
behaviour is changed. Otherwise, reboots will be neccessary each time
the directories are optimized. After grepping the e2fs docs, I find no
mention of an HTREE option to mke2fs or fsck. It's automatically done if
the partition was formatted with the 1.32 (maybe even 1.31 or 1.30) but
not on partitions made with 1.29 or older.

--
Archaic

--
See, when the GOVERNMENT spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the
money is left in the hands of TAXPAYERS, God only knows what they do

- Dave Barry

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org