Purity Iteration Analysis - the results are in..

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Mar 19 03:26:38 PST 2003

On 18 Mar 2003 15:37:00 -0700 Ken Dyke <ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:53, Greg Schafer wrote:
> >   - performing all the test builds on the same day will help reduce
> >   the
> >     number of files that differ
>
> Doing a "back to the future" manipulation of the local system time and
> using a cron job to kick the build process off may reduce this further.
> But then again it may not get the timestamps close enough.
> Theoretically, there should be no significant variance in build times.
> Hard disk I/O might accumulate such difference.

This could be compensated by slowing down the system time so that 1 system
second takes 10 real seconds. Whatever variance there is should not reach
this order of magnitude. This could probably be achieved with a simple
patch to the relevant glibc functions. Or maybe it's easier to patch the
kernel.

MSB

--
An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world.
A pessimist fears that this is true.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org